Clinical PhD fellowship
The Clinical PhD Fellowship supports specialists (doctors, veterinary surgeons, dentists and pharmacists) who are employed in a full-time clinical role, to pursue fundamental clinical research. During the fellowship, the beneficiaries are released from clinical and academic duties in order to focus on their research. In this way, the gap between clinical research and clinical practice is narrowed.
- Period: 2 years (part time)
- The fellowship grant is half the salary paid by the university hospital or veterinary surgery, with a maximum of €35,000 per year.
- For a general practitioner, the grant equals the salary of a part-time assistant at the relevant university.
- Call open
- Deadline: 1 March 2019 at 5:00 PM
- Announcement of results: June 2019
- Start of fellowship: 1 October 2019
- Success rate 2018: 26%
Profile and conditions
- You are a doctor, veterinary surgeon, dentist or pharmacist working in Belgium.
- From the start to the end of the fellowship you are employed at an academic hospital or a university veterinary surgery affiliated to a university in the Flemish Community.
- A general practitioner must, from the start of the contract and until the end of the fellowship, be appointed at a Flemish university department of general practitioner medicine
- You have received a certificate from your supervisor. This certificate states that you should be able to complete your PhD within the duration of the fellowship.
- You have not previously received a similar fellowship (not even in part).
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship.
- You agree with the Research Integrity
- You contact a supervisor affiliated to a Flemish university
- The supervisor undertakes to properly coach and guide you as doctorandus.
- The supervisor writes a letter of recommendation.
- You complete your application online
- Jury Clinical Fellowships evaluate your application.
- Jury Clinical Fellowships report to the Board of Trustees.
- The Board of Trustees decides on your appointment.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Clinical PhD Fellowship
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO-Clinical PhD Fellowship
- Advice, selection- and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for an FWO- Clinical PhD fellowship
Documents and additional information for applicants
- See /en/contact/for-the-researcher/ for requesting additional info and for specific questions
- For technical (IT) problems regarding e-portal and application modules send an email to the IT helpdesk: FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be
- Example of an application form: contains a number of screen shots of the online application forms and the project outline template
Specific supporting documents
- List research discipline codes
Starting with the current call for the 2019 fellowships the FWO is using a new list of research discipline codes. This is a hierarchical and structured compilation of research topics by discipline in all scientific fields. All applicants that have already an e-portal account should update their research discipline codes according to the new list