Cooperation with the Czech Republic
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential joint collaboration projects. Within these projects only travel and living expenses can be financed.
In the frame of the current agreement with the Czech Academy of Sciences (CAS), a new call for joint collaboration projects is launched in order to further promote scientific cooperation between Flanders and the Czech Republic in all research domains. The programme focuses mainly on the exchange of young researchers.
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- Joint scientific cooperation projects with special attention to young researchers, in each cooperation project:
- at Flemish side at least one young scientist, with no more than 6 years of postdoctoral experience, should perform an exchange towards the Czech Republic;
- out of the whole Czech team, at least 1/3 must be junior researchers or PhD students.
- The funding covers travel and living expenses.
- FWO pays researcher(s) from Flanders a living allowance of EUR 66 per day to cover accommodation, meals, domestic transport and incidental expenses. The international travel costs of the Flemish researcher(s) to and from the Czech Republic, to be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO, are also paid by FWO.
- CAS pays the mobility costs (travel and living expenses) of the Czech researcher(s) to and from Belgium. CAS foresees per project per year a max. amount of CZK 100,000.
- Call open from 1st of April till 1st of June 2020 (at FWO: 5 pm Belgian time)
- Announcement of results: December 2020
- Start of projects (at Flemish as well as at Czech side): January 2021
Profile and conditions
- As Principal Investigator of the Flemish research team, you hold a PhD.
- In addition, you hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- Please note: All the members of the Czech research team (including the Czech PI) should be affiliated to a CAS institute.
- Read the guidelines for applicant carefully (see ‘Downloads).
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and CAS according to the respective modalities of each agency.
- For FWO you submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by using the application form below (see ‘Regulations and downloads’, available as from the 1st of April 2020). Please be aware that it is essential to update your E-loket profile each time you submit a new FWO application.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (for more information on the eligibility criteria see Chapter III of the FWO regulations internal and external peer review). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in the Czech Republic. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Czech partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- All eligible applications will be evaluated at Czech side and at Flemish side.
- CAS and FWO take a joint funding decision.
Remark: In case of transfer of personal data within the framework of an international collaboration, FWO will ensure that the partners abroad guarantee an equal level of protection with respect to the involved parties.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations apply to every submission at FWO.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for the application of an exchange project with the Czech Republic at FWO.
- Notification of a stay abroad
- International exchange projects – template for final reports
Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe South West Travel and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.
Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.