Cooperation with Austria
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries. To allow joint research projects to be set up between Flanders and Austria, the FWO has signed a Lead Agency Procedure (LAP) agreement with the Austrian FWF (The Austrian Science Fund). The Lead Agency is responsible for the coordination and implementation of the assessment procedure and for the funding decision.
As it is the case for regular FWO research projects fundamental research it is possible to submit a junior or senior research project.
- The cooperation with FWF is based on a Lead Agency Procedure in which FWO is the Lead Agency for this application round (2019). Applications must be submitted at FWO through E-loket by the Flemish partner. In addition, the Austrian partner needs to submit the necessary documents at FWF. (See guidelines voor applicants)
- It must be an integrated research proposal with one central problem, methodology and elaboration.
- Period: 4 years.
- FWO staff and consumables: €45,000 to €130,000.
- FWO equipment/matching funding: maximum €150,000.
- The form will be online on the 1st of February. Here you can download the Project Outline template.
- FWO Deadline: 01 April 2019 (5pm).
Profile and conditions
- As a team of researchers you need consumables, equipment and personnel grants to conduct a joint research project combining complementary expertise and relevant scientific input from both sides.
- Your research will be carried out at an eligible Flemish main host institution, possibly in collaboration with other Flemish and/or federal research institutions (Article 7).
- Your research will be carried out under the supervision of a supervisor-spokesperson, possible in collaboration with other (co-)supervisors (Article 11 and 12).
- Besides the Austrian partner, co-supervisors from one or more non-Flemish and non-Austrian universities can be included with a maximum funding of 10% (for all non-Flemish and non-Austrian universities together) of the total FWO research budget.
- Junior projects: supervisor-spokesperson and all (co-)supervisors, including the Austrian partners and if applicable other foreign co-supervisors, must have obtained their first PhD degree maximum 12 years before 01 April 2019.
- Senior projects: supervisor-spokesperson or one of the (co-)supervisors, including the Austrian partners and if applicable other foreign co-supervisors, has obtained his/her first PhD degree more than 12 years before 01 April 2019.
- Within this application round (2019) FWO-FWF applications are considered as regular FWO research projects. This means that:
- Applications in the framework of this LAP procedure with Austria are taken into account when calculating the maximum of two projects per application round for which you can act as supervisor-spokesperson or (co-)supervisor.
- Supervisor-spokespersons that were awarded a regular FWO research project (including the LAP projects with Slovenia, Luxembourg, and Switzerland) in the 2018 application round, are not eligible to submit an FWO-FWF project this application round (2019): see Transitional measures.
- Granted FWO-FWF projects starting as from 01/01/2019 are taken into account for the maximum of two projects applied for and ongoing on the start date of the newly allocated project.
- All material acquired with a grant for consumables/equipment of the FWO shall become the property of the university.
- The host institution is the employer of staff remunerated on research projects.
- Supervisors and co-supervisors are not allowed any remuneration or accumulation with a remuneration on a research project.
- The real cost is used when the name(s) of the researcher(s) is (are) already known. When the name(s) of the researcher(s) is (are) not yet known, indicative amounts may be used.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
- The partners follow the assessment procedure of the organization acting as Lead Agency. For this call (2019) FWO is the Lead Agency. The application procedure for the FWO as Lead Agency, can be summarized as follows:
- Each supervisor(-spokesperson) and co-supervisor of both the Flemish and Austrian research team, and if applicable other foreign research teams, must have online profile including an updated list of publications on the FWO E-portal.
- The applications are assessed for eligibility; the FWO and FWF check whether the application meets the formal requirements.
- Your application is submitted to a number of external referees for evaluation.
- Rebuttal: You can react on the comments of the external referees and internal evaluation reports: first half of September 2019.
- The FWO expert panels evaluate your application. The applicant is solely responsible for the choice of the expert panel. Next the CDP panel will evaluate all applications proposed for funding by the FWO expert panels to select within the limitations imposed by FWF the final set of proposals to be funded.
- Final decision taken by the board of trustees of FWO and the FWF Board, respectively on the 22nd of December 2019 and the 11-12 of March 2020.
- Provisory communication at the end of December. Final results Mid-March. Start of projects on the 1st of April 2020; more info on the timing in the underneath guide for applicants.
- Afterwards you will receive feedback on your application.