Cooperation with Japan
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential scientific cooperation projects.
To strengthen scientific collaboration between Japan and Flanders, the FWO has signed an agreement with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). This agreement aims to establish a concrete partnership between Japan and Flanders and to stimulate collaboration between both countries in the area of research and development by conducting joint cooperation projects.
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- Call 2019: maximum 2 projects to be funded
- The funding covers
- travel expenses between Flanders and Japan
- accommodation, living expenses and domestic travel in both countries (covered by the daily living allowance)
- Each party bears the full costs of its own researchers:
- FWO offers researchers from Flanders a daily living allowance of € 66 (or max. €1,650 per month) on top of the travel expenses towards/from Japan, to be booked through Omnia Travel.
- JSPS pays the researchers from Japan a total amount of maximum 2,500,000 JPY (about € 20,400) per year to cover the travel expenses towards/from and the stay within Flanders.
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: January 2020
- Start of project: between the 1st of April 2020
Profile and conditions
- You hold a PhD.
- You hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- Carefully read the guidelines for applicants (see ‘Regulations and downloads’).
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and JSPS according to the modalities of each agency.
- For FWO you submit your application using the application form mentioned below (see ‘Regulations and downloads’). Please be aware that it is essential to update your E-loket profile each time you submit a new FWO application.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (refer to the regulations to see who is eligible). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Japan. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Japanese partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- The International Collaboration Committee (CIWC)evaluates your application.
- The decision is made in consultation with JSPS.
Remark: In case of transfer of personal data within the framework of an international collaboration, FWO will ensure that the partners abroad guarantee an equal level of protection with respect to the involved parties.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for the application of an exchange project with Japan and FWO.
- Framework agreement FWO & JSPS
Framework agreement between the FWO and the Japanese partner JSPS.
- International exchange projects - template for final reports - PDF
- Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe South West Travel and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.