Cooperation with Japan
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential scientific mobility projects. Within these projects only travel and living expenses can be financed at Flemish side.
To strengthen scientific collaboration between Japan and Flanders, the FWO has signed an agreement with the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). This agreement aims to stimulate collaboration between Japan and Flanders in the area of fundamental scientific research by conducting joint mobility projects.
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- Call 2021: maximum 2 projects to be funded
- The funding covers
- travel expenses between Flanders and Japan
- accommodation, living expenses and domestic travel in both countries (needs to be covered at Flemish side by the daily living allowance)
- Each party bears the full costs of its own researchers:
- FWO offers researchers from Flanders a daily living allowance of € 66 (or max. €1,650 per month) on top of the travel expenses towards/from Japan, to be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO.
- JSPS pays the researchers from Japan a total amount of maximum 2,500,000 JPY (about € 19,000) per year to cover e.g. the travel expenses towards/from and the stay within Flanders.
- Deadline: 8th of September 2021 (5 pm Belgian time)
Please be aware that at Japanese side, the tool for submission will only be opened as from mid-June. Furthermore, Japanese universities have different internal deadlines (please check within the specific university).
- Announcement of results: December 2021
- Start of project (at Flemish as well as at Japanese side): 1st of April 2022
Profile and conditions
- As Principal Investigator of the Flemish research team, you hold a PhD.
- You hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community of, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- Carefully read the guidelines for applicants (see ‘Regulations and downloads’).
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and JSPS according to the modalities of each agency.
- For FWO you submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org using the application form mentioned below (see ‘Regulations and downloads’). Please be aware that it is essential to update your E-loket profile each time you submit a new FWO application.
- All eligible applications will be evaluated at Japanese side and at Flemish side.
- JSPS and FWO take a joint funding decision.
Remark: In case of transfer of personal data within the framework of an international collaboration, FWO will ensure that the partners abroad guarantee an equal level of protection with respect to the involved parties.
- General regulations
These general regulations apply to every submission at FWO.
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for the application of an exchange project with Japan at FWO.
- Framework agreement FWO & JSPS
Framework agreement between the FWO and the Japanese partner JSPS.
- Guide for applicants – Call 2021
This document contains all requirements, procedures, etc. for a new application of a project within the framework of the collaboration agreement with JSPS (call 2021).
- Template Curriculum Vitae and publications
This template needs to be completed for each (co-)promotor involved in the joint exchange project and needs to be sent as a mandatory attachment together with the application form.
- Notification of a stay abroad
- International exchange projects – template for final reports
- Guide for applicants – Call 2020
This document contains all information relevant for ongoing JSPS-FWO mobility projects (call 2020).
Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe South West Travel and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.
Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.