Cooperation with Taiwan
The FWO is keen on promoting international collaboration as a driving force for excellence. That is why the FWO signs agreements with a number of countries for the funding of potential scientific cooperation projects. Within these projects only travel and living expenses can be financed.
On the 28th of August 2019 FWO and the Taiwanese Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) renewed their collaboration agreement. This agreement aims to stimulate collaboration between Taiwan and Flanders in the area of research and development in all scientific domains by conducting joint cooperation projects. Consequently, the continuous application process for exchanges is replaced by regular calls for submission of joint cooperation projects. In addition, this first call will focus on the exchange of young researchers from Flanders to Taiwan and the other way around.
- Duration of projects: 2 years
- Joint exchange projects with special attention to junior researchers: in each exchange project at Taiwanese side as well as at Flemish side at least one junior scientist should perform an exchange. This junior researcher is a PhD student or a postdoctoral researcher with no more than 6 years of postdoctoral experience.
- Funding: each party bears the full costs of its own researchers (travel, accommodation and living expenses):
- FWO offers researchers from Flanders a daily living allowance of € 66 (or max. €1,650 per month) on top of the travel expenses towards/from Taiwan, to be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO.
- MOST pays the researchers from Taiwan travel expenses towards/from Flanders, daily allowance and accommodation expenses, more information.
- Deadline: 5th of May 2020 (at FWO: 5 pm Belgian time)
- Announcement of results: December 2020
- Start of projects (at Flemish as well as at Taiwanese side): 1st of January 2021
Profile and conditions
- As Principal Investigator of the Flemish research team, you hold a PhD.
- You hold, throughout the entire period of your project, an appointment of at least 50% at:
- a university in the Flemish Community (including the academic programmes within the corresponding association), or to
- a federal or Flemish scientific institute as scientific staff of the Dutch-speaking community, or to
- a university hospital in the Flemish Community as scientific staff, or to
- a hospital with an academic character recognized as research center in the Flemish Community as scientific staff.
- Carefully read the guidelines for applicants (see ‘Regulations and downloads’).
- You must submit your project proposal simultaneously to FWO and MOST according to the modalities of each institution.
- For FWO you submit your application to email@example.com by using the application form below (see ‘Regulations and downloads’). Please be aware that it is essential to update your E-loket profile each time you submit a new FWO application.
- You propose a list of 3 external referees (for more information on the eligibility criteria see Art 21.3 and 21.5 of the FWO regulations internal and external peer review). Please be aware that the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to a Belgian university, research institute or other organization. Moreover, the proposed international referees cannot be appointed to similar institutions and organizations in Taiwan. Please note that there also cannot be a Conflict of Interest (CoI) with the Taiwanese partner(s).
- One referee will be asked for advice.
- All eligible applications will be evaluated at Taiwanese side and at Flemish side.
- MOST and FWO take a joint funding decision.
Remark: In case of transfer of personal data within the framework of an international collaboration, FWO will ensure that the partners abroad guarantee an equal level of protection with respect to the involved parties.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selection and evaluation criteria for the application of an exchange project with Taiwan at FWO.
- Framework agreement FWO and MOST
Framework agreement between the FWO and the Taiwanese partner MOST.
- Notification of a stay abroad
- International exchange projects - template for final reports
Flight- or train tickets in the frame of an FWO grant, can only be booked through a travel agency authorized by the FWO (Uniglobe Smart Travel Ghent and Omnia Travel). Bookings through another travel agency will not be reimbursed by FWO.
Be aware: For any travel towards a higher-risk destination, the FWO (travel) grant can only be used in case of a positive advice of the concerned host institution. Please make sure to request this advice at the responsible advisory body of your host institution.