FWO Excellence Prizes
The Research Foundation – Flanders (FWO) will award the following prizes for the period 2016-2020 to prominent researchers from the scientific community in Flanders:
- Two Doctor A. De Leeuw-Damry-Bourlart Prizes:
- 1 prize for exact sciences;
- 1 prize for applied sciences;
- One Ernest-John Solvay Prize:
- 1 prize for humanities and social sciences;
- Two Joseph Maisin Prizes:
- 1 prize for fundamental biomedical sciences;
- 1 prize for clinical biomedical sciences.
- Each prize is worth 100,000 EURO.
- Candidates have to be nominated by an established researcher; one cannot put oneself forward as a candidate.
- Call open, deadline to nominate candidates is December 2, 2019 at 17:00 CET.
Profile and conditions
The prizes encompass all scientific domains and are to be awarded to researchers who have had a position for at least 5 years at:
- a university in the Flemish community;
- the Evangelic Theological Faculty in Leuven;
- the Faculty for Protestant Theology in Brussels for research related to religious studies or theology;
- the Maritime Academy for research related to nautical sciences;
- the Vlerick Business School and the Antwerp Management School for research related to management sciences;
- the Institute of Tropical Medicine for research related to tropical medicine, veterinary medicine or healthcare in developing countries.
The Excellence Prizes are intended to reward individual researchers; research groups are not eligible as candidates, nor can prizes be shared among multiple researchers.
- One cannot nominate oneself; one has to be nominated by an established researcher.
- The nominator submits your candidacy using the appropriate form (see below, 'downloads') which is to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The candidacy includes an expose of maximum 5 pages illustrating the scientific achievements of the candidate, as well as a detailed CV and publication list of the candidate.
- The FWO will submit the applications to 5 external experts for peer review, whose reviews will be added to the nomination file for the jury. FWO is responsible for finding and contacting reviewers who are experts in the relevant domains for each application.
- The person nominating a candidate may include in the application form maximum 3 names of experts that should be excluded as external reviewers due to a demonstrable conflict of interest which might impede an objective and fair evaluation of the candidate or because of a demonstrable risk of abuse by the external reviewer of the information given in the nomination file. Each request to exclude an expert should be properly motivated. Only individual people can be excluded, not institutions or organisations or their separate entities.
- The Board of Trustees of FWO shall assemble three jury panels to conduct the scientific evaluation of the nominated candidates:
- one jury for the domain of Science and Technology, to evaluate nominations for the two prizes De Leeuw-Damry-Bourlart;
- one jury for the domain of social sciences and humanities, to evaluate nominations for the prize Ernest-John Solvay;
- one jury for the domain of biomedical sciences, to evaluate nominations for the two prizes Joseph Maisin.
- The three jury panels shall be composed exclusively of researchers that have no affiliation with any Belgian university or scientific institute. Persons who have nominated a candidate cannot be members of a jury panel.
- The Board of Trustees decides on the allocation.
Regulations and downloads
- Nomination Form Excellence Prizes 2020
- Regulations Excellence Prizes 2020
These regulations contain all conditions, procedures, etc. to submit a candidacy for the FWO Excellence Prizes.
- Procedural rules for the jury panels of the FWO Excellence Prizes 2020
- Laureates of the FWO Excellence Prizes 2015
- Winners of previous cycli
An overview of the winners of the previous cycles.