Medium-scale research infrastructure
Research infrastructure comprises all facilities and sources that promote the performance of cross-border and strategic basic research across all scientific disciplines. Besides scientific infrastructure, this includes collections, natural habitats, corpora and databases (including digital opening up).
Medium scale research infrastructure is defined as research infrastructure with a total financing cost of at least EUR 150,000 and at most EUR 1,000,000 (including VAT).
- Project period: 4 years, renewable with maximum two years
- Eligible organizations: research groups from Flemish universities. Applications for medium scale research infrastructure are made within each university
- Acceptable costs:
- Equipment: Costs for research investments, i.e. the costs of purchasing and connecting the research infrastructure or purchasing the components for the construction of the planned research infrastructure, including the non-refundable portion of VAT. This also includes the upgrading, i.e. the substantial improvement of existing research infrastructure;
- Personnel costs for the development and construction of the research infrastructure. This also includes the personnel costs for upgrading the research infrastructure and the costs for the operational or maintenance personnel once the infrastructure is up and running;
- Operational costs consisting of maintenance costs over the entire depreciation period, i.e. the costs arising from maintenance agreements or research infrastructure upgrades and equipment repairs.
- Funding percentage: 100%
- Call open: from March 1, 2021
- Submission of applications through the FWO e-portal
- Deadline transfer of the proposal in preparation from project supervisor to the ‘host institution of the supervisor’ (=main applicant): September 8, 2021
- Deadline submission final project proposal by the main applicant: September 15, 2021 at 5 PM
- Announcement of results: end of March 2022
- Each university incorporates a regulation on medium scale research infrastructure and establishes an internal selection procedure.
- As supervisor of the infrastructure project, you prepare your proposal via the FWO e-portal and transfer your proposal in preparation to your host institution (= main applicant of the proposal ). Please contact the research coordination office of your research institution for internal deadlines and practicalities.
- Your host institution submits your proposal to FWO via the e-portal by September 15, 2021 at 5 PM. Application dossiers must clearly indicate whether
- there is cooperation with (an)other university(ies) or with third parties;
- such cooperation with (an)other university(ies) or with third parties will be developed further.
- Between September 16, 2021 and October 22, 2021 the universities consult each other with a view to achieving maximum cooperation;
- The applications are assessed within each university in accordance with the provisions of the internal rules on medium scale research infrastructure of each university:
- Each university draws up an indicative list of applications proposed for subsidies and transfers this indicative list to the FWO before February 21, 2022.
- For each university, the FWO assesses the indicative lists taking into account the selection criteria of each university, as well as the results of the inter-university consultations;
- The FWO board of trustees makes a final decision on the financing to be allocated in during its meeting in March 2022.
Regulations and downloads
- Example of an application form
- Guideliness medium scale research infrastructure
- FWO Regulations medium scale research infrastructure
- Presentation infosession
General questions on the call for medium-scale research infrastructure or specific questions related to submitting an application for this call, can be obtained from the unversities’ contact person.
Any additional information can be obtained from the secretariat of the Research Foundation - Flanders, Egmontstraat 5, 1000 BRUSSELS, tel 02 512 512.91 10 or email@example.com.
Questions regarding the functionality of the e-portal should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact persons within the universities:
- KU Leuven
Hoofd Nationale Fondsen - Onderzoekscoördinatie KU Leuven
Schapenstraat 34 bus 5100
Tel: +32 (0)16 320949
- Ghent University
Directie Onderzoeksaangelegenheden UGent
Tel: +32 (0)9 264 98 44
- University of Antwerp
Grants Office UAntwerpen
Tel: +32 (0)3 265 31 05
- Hasselt University
Stafmedewerker Onderzoekscoördinatie Universiteit HasseltMartelarenlaan 42
Tel: +32 (0)11 26 91 75
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Tel: +32 (0)2 629 21 08
E-mail: email@example.com - Eva.Leemans@vub.be