Renewed programme: Junior postdoctoral fellowship
The postdoctoral fellowships are intended to support researchers who have only recently completed their PhD, in developing an independent, international research career. For the funding of a limited number of fellowships, the FWO collaborates with VITO.
- Period: 3 years
- Salary scale: minimum € 4.134,97 - maximum € 6.446,01
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: End of June / Early July 2019
- Start of fellowship: October 1, 2019 or November 1, 2019 (at the choice of the candidate)
Profile and conditions
- You hold a PhD by thesis or a degree or a diploma or certificate recognised as equivalent in accordance with European Union directives or a bilateral agreement
- You can apply for a junior postdoctoral fellowship if your PhD was obtained not longer than 3 years before October, 1 of the year in which the fellowship would start, or will be obtained at Jun 1 of that year at the latest
- You have not previously received a similar fellowship (not even in part).
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship.You can apply for a senior postdoctoral fellowship immediately after you junior postdoctoral fellowship
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- Transitional measures (if you already applied for a postdoc at FWO earlier)
Evaluation and selection procedure
- You contact a supervisor affiliated to a Flemish university or research institute (eligible list: see regulations)
- The supervisor is asked by the FWO to write a letter of recommendation.
- You complete your application online
- The applications are submitted to the FWO Expertpanels.
- Medium April , after the preselection, you can be invited for a second round with interview
- If you are selected for the second round, you'll be interviewed by the panel in the month May or June
- The Expert panels report to the Board of Trustees
- The Board of Trustees decides on the appointment
- You will receive feedback on the evaluation after the decision.
- The evaluation and selection procedures will be explained during infosessions and through a Powerpoint presentation (online early October 2018)
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Postdoctoral Fellowship (valid from call 2019)
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO-Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Regulations for the bench fee of FWO fellows
These regulations contain all information concerning the bench fee for FWO-PhD Fellowships and postdctoral fellowships
- Internal and external peer review
These regulations lay down the conditions of the evaluation and award procedure for the research support programmes managed by the FWO. The composition of the panels for the FWO fellowships will be published early 2019.
Documents and additional information for applicants
- See /en/contact/for-the-researcher/ for requesting additional info and for specific questions
- For technical (IT) problems regarding e-portal and application modules send an email to the IT helpdesk: FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be
- Evaluation and selection procedures are commented during the information session early October 2018. The presentation, serving as a practical apllicants guide can be found here.
- Example application form offers a number of screenshots of the online application forms and the project template outline
Specific supporting documents
- Research discipline codes
Starting with the current call for the 2019 fellowships the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) will be using the new list of research discipline codes as compiled by ECOOM in collaboration with relevant stakeholders and which has been approved for use within Flanders. This new list of discipline codes is a hierarchical and structured compilation of research topics by discipline in all scientific fields.
- Presentation info sessions
- Scoring grid (scoring descriptors) used by the expert panels incl external reviewers
Evaluation supporting documents
- Scoring grid (calibration framework for scoring assignment)
- Guidelines interview (will be online later)