Scientific Research Network
This grant supports researchers with the coordination of Scientific Research Networks. (These are international networks of researchers that encourage national and international cooperation as from a postdoctoral level onwards.)
These virtual research groups are set up through efficient coordination and intensive collaboration at (inter)national level. They prevent dual usage and provide researchers (from a postdoctoral level onwards) with more development opportunities. A scientific research network places the research of individual and complementary research departments in a wider framework.
- Duration of projects: 5 years, renewable.
- Annual bench fee: maximum 12,500 EUR.
- Unused funds will be returned to the FWO.
- The funding is to be used exclusively for:
- the organization of guest lectures, symposia and scientific collaboration visits from a postdoctoral level onwards;
- travel and accommodation expenses of foreigners;
- fees for established researchers from outside the Flemish Community;
- travel and accommodation expenses of researchers from a postdoctoral level onwards affiliated to the Flemish research departments of the Scientific Research Network, in charge of carrying out information-gathering activities in foreign research departments;
- secretarial costs for organizing guest colleges, a limited number of symposia, workshops and research coordination meetings;
- Other expenses subject to prior consent by the FWO.
- Participation of junior research groups and a gender balance are encouraged.
- Deadline for submission: 1st of October 2020 (5 pm Belgian time)
Profile and conditions
- A Scientific Research Network consists at least of:
- three research units from at least two eligible host institutions within the Flemish Community (see regulations Article 2);
- minimum two research groups from the French Community and/or from abroad
- One of the Flemish research units acts as the core group. This unit must enjoy an international reputation for its high-quality outstanding scientific research.
- A research unit is only allowed to act as core group for a single ongoing Scientific Research Network.
- A research unit can apply once as a core group in each application round.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
- Applications must be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com before the 1st of October (5:00 PM) of the year preceding the start year, using the appropriate application form (see below under ‘Regulations and downloads’). The head of the core group shall send a copy of the application to the rector/head of the host institution.
- The Cross-Domain Panel (GOP) will evaluate the new applications for Scientific Research Networks and will advise the board of trustees.
- The board of trustees decides on the allocation of the funding.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding request at FWO.
- Selection- and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all selection and evaluation criteria to apply for a grant for a Scientific Research Network.
- Regulations for Scientific Research Networks
- Application form – Scientific Research Network
- Template for progress report – Scientific Research Network
- Template for final report – Scientific Research Network