Senior Clinical Investigator
The Senior Clinical Investigator Fellowship supports well educated doctors and researchers who want to pursue a full-fledged career in translational research. The beneficiaries are released from clinical duties in order to focus on their research. Translational research bridges the gap between fundamental biomedical research, which is vital to any progress, and clinical research, which is focussed on the patient.
Period: 5-year part-time research, twice renewable.
- The fellowship grant is half the salary paid by the university hospital, with a maximum of €50,000 per year.
For a general practitioner, the grant equals the salary of a part-time lecturer at the relevant university (taking account of seniority), with a maximum of €50,000 per year.
- Call closed
- Announcement of results: June 2019
- Start of fellowship: 1 October 2019
- Success rate 2018: 40 %
Profile and conditions
- You are a medical specialist, general practitioner or pharmacist specialist in clinical biology and have a full-time clinical role at a university hospital.
- You hold a PhD.
- You are employed at an academic hospital affiliated to a university in the Flemish Community.
- As general practitioner, you are employed at a Flemish university department of general practitioner medicine throughout the duration of the fellowship.
- You have an employment contract of indefinite duration.
- You spend at least 80% of your time on purely clinical activities.
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship.
- You agree with the Research Integrity
- You propose a list of 10 external referees
- The head of the research unit writes a recommendation letter.
- You complete your application online
- The Clinical Fellowships jury evaluates your application.
- The jury compiles a final ranking.
- The Board of Trustees endorses your appointment.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Senior Clinical Investigator
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Senior Clinical Investigator
- Advice, selection and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all advice, selecion and evalution criteria for an FWO Senior Clinical Investigator
Documents and additional information for applicants
- See /en/contact/for-the-researcher/ for requesting additional info and for specific questions
- For technical (IT) problems regarding e-portal and application modules send an email to the IT helpdesk: FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be
Specific supporting documents
- List research discipline codes
Starting with the current call for the 2019 fellowships the FWO is using a new list of research discipline codes. This is a hierarchical and structured compilation of research topics by discipline in all scientific fields. All applicants that have already an e-portal account should update their research discipline codes according to the new list