Gender Equality Plan
The Research Foundation – Flanders (FWO) attaches great importance to the creation of equal opportunities for all researchers relying on the FWO for the funding of their research. This is reflected in an equal opportunity policy that covers different areas of interest, including gender equality. Gender equality is a fundamental value that benefits research and development (R&D) by improving its quality and relevance, attracting and retaining more talents and ensuring that everyone can fully realise their potential.
As part of the Gender Equality Strategy 2020-2025, the European Commission requires that public bodies, higher education establishments and research organisations from EU member states and associated countries that seek to participate in the Horizon Europe framework programme, have a Gender Equality Plan (GEP) in place. A GEP is a policy instrument that comprises a set of objectives and actions aimed at promoting gender balance in an organisation through institutional and cultural change.
The FWO GEP can be found at the bottom of this page and includes a background sketch of the situation in the Flemish academic world, a description of the process-related requirements and recommended thematic areas and their translation into actions that can be undertaken by the FWO. For each of these elements, a current state of affairs is described. Based on the current state of affairs, challenges have been identified which in turn form the basis for the objectives for the future. On a number of points, other aspects of diversity are also being looked at.
The FWO GEP was formally approved by the FWO's Board of Trustees on 22 December 2021.
FWO Gender Equality Plan:
Gender equality and GEPs at the Flemish universities and research centres:
- University of Antwerp: Gender Equality Plan | University of Antwerp (uantwerpen.be)
- Ghent University:
- General: Diversity and Inclusion — Ghent University (ugent.be)
- Diversity policy and action plan: diversity-policy-and-action-plan-2019-2023 (ugent.be)
- Hasselt University:
- KU Leuven: geintegreerd-gender-equality-plan-ku-leuven-2021.pdf (kuleuven.be) (in Dutch, English version in preparation)
- Flanders’ Make: About wellbeing and gender equality | Flanders Make
- IMEC: 2021 Gender Equality Plan imec.pdf (imec-int.com)
- VIB: Gender Equality Plan.pdf (vib.be)
- VITO: Diversity & Inclusion @VITO
- VLIZ: GenderEqualityPlan.pdf (vliz.vlaanderen)