New programme: Junior and Senior Research projects
Research projects are initiated by the researchers. Two types can be awarded: junior and senior research projects. The objective of the FWO's Research projects is to advance fundamental scientific research. This happens on initiative of the researcher in all scientific disciplines.
- Period: 4 years, renewable with maximum two years subject to a new application (research project fundamental research renewal)
- Staff and consumables: €45,000 to €130,000 per year
- Additional equipment / matching funding: maximum €150,000
- CALL OPEN
- Deadline: 1 April 2019 (5pm)
- Announcement of results: December 2019
- Start of project: 1 January 2020
Profile and conditions
- As a team of researchers you need consumables, equipment and personnel grants.
- Your research will be carried out at an eligible Flemish main host institution, possibly in collaboration with other Flemish and/or federal research institutions (Article 7), but a non-Flemish university may participate for 10 percent of the budget
- Your research will be carried out under the supervision of a supervisor-spokesperson, possible in collaboration with other (co-)supervisors (Article 11 and 12).
- A researcher can act as (co-)supervisor for maximum two projects per application round. You can only apply if your requested and ongoing fundamental research projects does not exceed two. These regulations also include the Lead Agency Procedure (LAP) projects with Austria, Luxemburg, Slovenia, and Switzerland as well as renewals (see Transitional measures).
- For junior projects a supervisor-spokesperson and (co-)supervisor must have obtained his/her first PhD degree maximum 12 years before the submission deadline of the project application.
- For senior projects the supervisor-spokesperson or the (co-)supervisor has obtained his/her first PhD degree more than 12 years before the submission deadline of the project application.
- All material acquired with a grant for consumables/equipment of the FWO shall become the property of the university.
- The host institution is the employer of staff remunerated on research projects.
- Supervisors and co-supervisors are not allowed any remuneration or accumulation with a remuneration on a research project.
- The real cost is used when the name(s) of the researcher(s) is (are) already known. When the name(s) of the researcher(s) is (are) not yet known, indicative amounts may be used.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause
- You submit your proposal online.
- Your application is submitted to a number of external referees for evaluation.
- Rebuttal: You can react on the comments of the external referees and internal evaluation reports: first half September 2019.
- The FWO expertpanels evaluate your application.
- The expertpanels report to the board of trustees.
- The board of trustees takes the final decision.
- Afterwards you will receive feedback on your application.
The correct Expertpanel
The FWO has the projects evaluated by 30 discipline-specific expert panels and one interdisciplinary panel. The applicant is solely responsible for the choice of the expert panel that will evaluate his/her application. You will find the scopes that have been defined here.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding of FWO
- Regulations for Research projects (valid from call 2019)
These regulations contain all conditions to apply for an FWO Research Project
Documents and additional information for applicants
- See /en/contact/for-the-researcher/ for requesting additional info and for specific questions
- For technical (IT) problems regarding e-portal and application modules send an email to the IT helpdesk: FWOhelpdesk@fwo.be
- Evaluation and selection procedures are commented during the information sessions.
- Example application form offers a number of screenshots of the online application forms and the project template outline
Specific supporting documents
- Research discipline codes
Starting with the current call for the 2019 fellowships the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) will be using the new list of research discipline codes as compiled by ECOOM in collaboration with relevant stakeholders and which has been approved for use within Flanders. This new list of discipline codes is a hierarchical and structured compilation of research topics by discipline in all scientific fields.
- Scoring grid (scoring descriptors) used by the expert panels incl external reviewers