Scientific Research Network
This grant supports researchers with the coordination of Scientific Research Networks. These are international networks of researchers that encourage national and international cooperation as from a postdoctoral level onwards.
These virtual research groups are set up through efficient coordination and intensive collaboration at (inter)national level. They prevent dual usage and provide researchers (from a postdoctoral level onwards) with more development opportunities. A scientific research network places the research of individual and complementary research departments in a wider framework.
- Deadline: 30th of September 2021 (5pm)
- Duration of projects: 5 years, renewable.
- Annual bench fee: maximum 12,500 EUR.
- Unused funds will be returned to the FWO.
- The funding is to be used exclusively for:
- the organization of guest lectures, symposia and scientific collaboration visits from a postdoctoral level onwards;
- travel and accommodation expenses of foreigners;
- fees for established researchers from outside the Flemish Community;
- travel and accommodation expenses of researchers from a postdoctoral level onwards affiliated to the Flemish research groups of the Scientific Research Network, in charge of carrying out information-gathering activities at foreign research groups;
- secretarial costs for organizing guest colleges, a limited number of symposia, workshops and research coordination meetings;
- Other expenses subject to prior consent by the FWO.
- Participation of junior research groups and a gender balance are encouraged.
Profile and conditions
- A Scientific Research Network consists at least of:
- three research groups from at least two eligible host institutions within the Flemish Community (see regulations Article 2);
- minimum two research groups from research institutions from the French Community and/or from abroad.
When relevant, research groups from organizations other than research institutions can be added to the Scientific Research Network provided that they conduct (strategic) basic research and that their participation is of added value to the Scientific Research Network.
- One of the Flemish research groups acts as the core group. This group must enjoy an international reputation for its high-quality outstanding scientific research.
- A research group is only allowed to act as core group for a single ongoing Scientific Research Network.
- A research group can apply once as a core group in each application round.
- You agree with the Research Integrity Clause.
- Applications must be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com by September 30th (5pm) of the year preceding the start year, using the appropriate application form (see below under ‘Regulations and downloads’).
- The Cross-Domain Panel (CDP) will evaluate the new applications for Scientific Research Networks and will advise the board of trustees.
- The board of trustees decides on the allocation of the funding.
Regulations and downloads
- General regulations
These general regulations are applicable for every funding request at FWO.
- Regulations for Scientific Research Networks
- Selection- and evaluation criteria
Here you can find all selection and evaluation criteria to apply for a grant for a Scientific Research Network.
- Application form
- Template for progress report – Scientific Research Network
- Template for final report – Scientific Research Network